Answered By: Chris Graves Last Updated: May 30, 2019 Views: 118
Departments that have developed their records retention and disposition schedules may transfer their records to the University Records Center & Archives. Contact us to discuss transfer. Only standard banker's boxes will be accepted*. During busy periods it may take up to seven working days to arrange for transfer.
*width 32.00 cm ( 12.60 in ); height 25.00 cm ( 9.84 in ); depth 40.00 cm ( 15.75 in )
If your department has not developed its records retention and disposition schedules yet please contact us to discuss this essential step. Only records that have been scheduled may be transferred to the University Records Center & Archives. Contact us to discuss if you are unsure, if time is in issue, or if staff members are exiting KAUST and wish to deposit archival material. It is advisable to contact us early in your planning stage to allow ample time to incorporate our advice into your plans.
To prepare your boxes for transfer, follow the steps below and use our box label template available here.
- Designate one person to coordinate the transfers of all boxes originating from the same office (the Coordinator). The Coordinator is usually the only one authorized to access the boxes afterwards.
- Group boxes from the same series together. Number these boxes in sequence. Start from 001 or the end point of the last batch. Do not mix numbering or series.
- Assemble the boxes correctly. Do not leave flaps and ends improperly positioned since the boxes may fall apart during transfer.
- Tip: Watch this video to see how to assemble banker boxes.
- Affix the labels neatly to the short-end of the box. Labels may not cover the hand holes used to lift the boxes.
- All boxes need a label (refer to our template here).
- Fill out all parts of the label:
- "Generic Office" is not allowed; list the name of the person who prepared the box in case follow-up is needed.
- "Reports" is not allowed; list the all the different types of reports and their date ranges, as applicable.
- All boxes require a list of contents place inside. This will act as a backup if the label is lost or if the original electronic list is misplaced.
- Send us an electronic of this same list.
Prior to transfer, we may request to see photos of the boxes as proof that the Coordinator has physically inspected them to they meet our criteria.
Visit the Archives and Records Management website for further details.